Simplicity vs Complexity  

Posted by Daniel^_^Chin

Simple things and Complicated things,

Which do you prefer?

Simple things can be boring, bland, empty, less...but are they shallow?

Simple things can also be pure, straightforward, unpretentious, appreciated, and certainly deep for enough for one to ponder.

Complex things are interesting, wild, imaginative, eye-catching, inspiring, brilliant and amazing!

But they could be too much, over-the-top, messy, undisciplined, awful, fake, and far away...yes, far from our reach.

Sometimes human are simple creatures by nature, made complex by their own complicated minds.

Yes, we complicate ourselves, and we sometimes contradict our own thoughts, which made them worst.

Had you been thinking things that you found out weren't true?

Misunderstood lately?

Conflicting yourselves sometimes?

Confused by your friends?

Made things worst than they should have been?

Well, then you are the one making your life hard.


Back to reality...:P

I have learned in my Culture 101 class on several design theories. Among those, a few themes like Pop, Restraint, and Phenomenal made me think a lot. Because they are less direct, I suppose.

In fact, I found out that these themes are actually related to each other.

Okay, Pop sounds easy and direct enough: pop music, pop art, anything popular and recognisable.

But after reading the Reader, which is a compilation of very complicated articles(I have to say). I found out the topic Complexity and Contradiction vs Simplicity or Picturesqueness worth reading and thought-provoking. And somehow it is related to-

Restraint: Minimum, Disciplined, Less is More!

"Less is More!" -Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (1886-1969), German architect, and leader of modern International Style.


HOLD IT! You'd say...you relate this to architecture? It didn't even sound like that in the beginning!

Well, if you've read my blog before, you know that I relate everything to everything. I mean, don't even get me started on something that I can relate to anything and everything.


Sometimes people do look at things complicatedly. Like a piece of abstract art, somehow people can pull off 1000 different views and opinion like the artist was so good at making riddles for them to solve.

I mean, yes, Leonardo was feeling sad and all. If you can feel his sorrow, fine, I felt too...the way the colours are so dull, the broken vase, the dim lighting, the moody cat...

I was chatting with Chris recently and we were talking about these mad people that are busy scrutinising, calculating(yes, calculate), and even measuring famous arts.

Wow, I know artists are geniuses, but can you expect each and everyone to develop their brains equally like Mr Vinci there? (In case you don't know he's good at science too o.O)

When you paint do you measure the length of your strokes? Or even check how does it look like under the UV light? Or would you meticulously hide secrets below the canvas like its a vault of the greatest secrets in the history of secrets?

But that's what they did with poor smiling lady, and the one famous supper and other artworks. If only those people devote their time to my scribbles, who knows it might reveal the greatest secret of mankind.

But the book on certain Code still draws people in.

Why can't art be appreciated the way it is? Why can't paintings be just beautiful, inspiring, and relaxing to the mind?

Why can't art be simple, and yet picturesque?

"You don't know about art little child!" bellowed the crazy art fanatic "Stop giving your unworthy thoughts and fill your filthy mind with milk!" "The minds of those great artists are not yours to imagine and understand!"

Okay...so why not start at the start of time? Why did human paint at the first place? To record things? Oh I get it! That's how you got the idea!!! *clap clap clap*

Wow, I've reached fine art in my long chain of Relation!!!

This is a lengthy post, so I'll come back with a Part 2

More "relatings" to behold!!! My English is getting weirder...o.O


Images courtesy of http://www.jokesduniya.com/674/monalisa-on-world-tour/


Wait!!! Wasn't Mona Lisa a MAN??? *running away screaming*

This entry was posted on Tuesday, December 02, 2008 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments